DON’T GIVE DISCOUNTS As a Cinematographer, Filmmaker or Videographer in Saudi Arabia or Middle east.
Probably the most ironic thing I’ve learned as a filmmaker is that the clients that I give discounts to usually are the ones who feel entitled and usually come back with tons of edits/want to change everything/not happy with the final product. On the other hand, the clients who I charge my normal rates usually come back super happy and only have a few small edits to make, if any.
5 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULDN’T GIVE DISCOUNTS if you really want to shine as a cinematographer in Saudi Arabia or Middle East.
1. Discounts creates an expectation that everything can be negotiated. If you give a to a new customer, he or she will also expect to negotiate the deadline and other things. Also, when he or she uses your services again, they will require the same discount, because they received it the first time.
2. You will look less professional. Customers who have business experience know that quality services can’t be cheap. If you have experience and good skills, don’t undermine yourself. Price is not the most important to customer purchasing behavior.
3. Customers lie about additional work to get discounts. Many customers use the old trick when they try to convince you that this is only the first assignment of a long and profitable collaboration. If they demand you to make big discounts for the first job and they suggest they will give you more orders in the future, offer for them to write up a contract.
4. As a freelancer, you work to serve every customer’s individual needs. You aren’t a factory and can’t produce identical pieces. Good quality tailored services can’t come at a low price. Remember this: as a freelancer, you always create unique products or services.
5. A business is not a charity. Don’t let yourself get into financial problems because you think that increasing your price won’t be fair. When you earn less ,you have to spend less on your basic needs, your working tools, courses or books for you skills improvement. Also, you never know when you will need the extra money for unplanned situations.
Finally, if you really want to shine on your career as a videographer, cinematographer or D.O.P (Director of Photography) in Saudi Arabia or middle east, be aware of the discount strategy.
Hi, this is a comment.
To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.